Sunday 24 June 2012


Good ride Cowboy good ride…..June 24

First I apologize for the late posting of these blogs, "internet connection issues".  Technology and I have a love hate relationship.

So I thought this title was appropriate because it was a good ride and we've been all over cowboy country.  Actually, truth be told it was a GREAT ride but I couldn't think of any songs that had great ride in the title…hey, it's 7:00 a.m!   Wow, Sunday already!  It's hard to believe the ride is done.  As I write this I can hear a couple of bikes heading out.  No doubt some of the Fort McMurray people heading off for their long ride home.  Please be safe!  Today are the bittersweet farewells.  New friendships have been formed and old ones re-established. To all the riders both new and old - thanks for making this ride just the best ever!  

Last night at dinner we heard from Sarah, Ruby's mom.  She spoke of what it was like to find out your child has cancer and she spoke of what the Kids with Cancer Society means to them now. While Sarah spoke I couldn't help but smile through my tears because Ruby was playing with her Mom's hair, she was doing what a 7 year old should be doing, being a kid. That's why we ride on this weekend, that's why we raise this money, so that kids can be kids and so that families like Ruby's do not have to walk alone in the halls of the hospital.  I am proud to say that this weekend's ride raised over $210,000.00.  That amount includes the money raised last night from an impromptu auction for a print that the Neufelds donated.  Hamish was the lucky bidder.  Ruby's Grandfather, Mike,  personally raised over $12,000.00 in pledges.  WOW!  That is the most that one person has ever raised and it is also the most we have raised as a group so just think of what we are going to do NEXT year!!  And Mike, I know we will see you next year!

But for now the 2012 ride is done.  We are heading up the gondola for breakfast and then when done we will all get on our bikes and head in various directions towards our next destination, home.  As we ride away, I know that each and everyone of us is leaving a little piece of our heart with Ruby.  Ruby we love you.  You have shown us courage and reminded us of what's important.  I know I am a better person from meeting and talking with you.  And yes Ruby, you are so right when you say that Ariel is the best Disney Princess!  

To all the riders in this event, you guys are the BEST!  We truly do become family on this weekend.  So safe journeys my friends.  Remember shiny side up!   It looks like rain (since it's raining right now) for the ride home.  Be careful out there.

I have said this before and I will say it again, I long for the day when we can all get together and ride for fun because that will mean that we have erased childhood cancer. 

Ruby you are right again,  like you told me on Friday night, this IS better than Disneyland!

Today's biker wisdom -  "always go pee BEFORE you put your rain gear on"  

Until next year........

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment