Friday 22 June 2012


I Wanna be a Cowboy…..


Okay, maybe I don't really want to be a cowboy but I thought the title was appropriate since we were travelling through cowboy country today and participating in a slo mo rodeo.  Also, I thought it was a catchy little title and you can't tell me that you don't have that song stuck in your head now.  

Today's adventure led us from Canmore to Highway 40 through Kananaskis country.  There is still snow in the ditches and there were plenty of deer too.  I must admit that it did get a little chilly but hey, we're tough bikers (plus some of us have heated jackets).  We passed through Longview (home of Ian Tyson) Where we met up with the Calgary Kids with Cancer crew.   We then made our way past Frank's Slide onward to Fernie.  I just have to say how much I love our province.  No, it's not a flag waving moment (left it at home) but I just love the beauty of it all.  I am always a little humbled when travelling through the Rockies.  Despite the snow in the ditches and the chill in the air the ride was absolutely breathtaking.  At one point I actually thought I got the scent of lavender.  

We have now landed at Lizard Creek in Fernie.  Our group did have another small "detour" and yes, surprisingly enough Dan was there…. can you see a pattern? 

Today's big event was the slo mo rodeo (again with the cowboy theme).  The riders had to ride Pixters (sorry if the spelling is wrong) and Vespa's provided by Cycle Works.  They had a variety of courses to travel through and if your foot was down you were out.  Our Edmonton group gave it a GREAT try and Tyler Neufeld did his best, but in the end Calgary was victorious.  Next year....

Last night we were privileged to hear a few words from Ruby.  We watched a video last night about Ruby and her beaded journey.  She explained that some of the beads were for when she went for a blood transfusions and various other treatments.  There were so many beads.  Also in the video was Sarah, Ruby's Mom.  She talked about when Ruby was diagnosed and how this angel came and her name was Val.  Val brought them all the necessities that they needed for overnight stays.  See, that's what the Kids with Cancer Society does and that is what events like this help pay for.  We will hear more from Ruby tomorrow night.  I can guarantee you that there won't be a dry eye in the place.  Dan and Terry spoke the truth last night when they said that "Ruby is the toughest biker in the room".  Not one of us can disagree with that.  I asked Ruby last night what she thought of the ride so far and her response was "it's better than Disneyland".  Wow….  

When we came back to the hotel after the slo mo rodeo we saw Ruby swimming in the hotel pool. That young lady has so much energy!

So now that the rodeo is over we are all gathering and sharing tales of the day.  Dez, from the Calgary group is telling us about their ride (he's English, a kindred spirit).  Ruby has also come to join us and I have to say she looks fantastic tonight in her lovely green sundress, purple shoes and pink barrette.  A fashionista in the making I think.  But this means it's time for me to go for tonight.  

But, I can't leave tonight's blog without some biker wisdom.  I figure that everyday we probably learn some life lesson (and trust me Ruby is teaching us many many lessons).  For instance, I figure we learn something when your older brother says it won't hurt if you stick your tongue on the end of a 9v battery.  Well, you do it and you learn, right?  So here's some biker life lesson moment for you.  When you are riding on the bike, don't sing with your mouth open because there are bugs out there!  I'm just saying …….





No comments:

Post a Comment